Nominations Are Now Open For The Lab Heroes Awards 2019!
Calling all life scientists around the world, we’re delighted to announce that it’s once again time for our Lab Heroes AwardsTM! Last year we received 179 nominations for 60 incredibly inspiring life scientists working in labs all over the world, all the way from the USA to Australia!
These awards are your once-a-year chance to celebrate the scientists who make – or who have made – a positive difference to you, your life, and your work.
They might be scientists who have inspired you in your career path, support you in the lab, are fantastic mentors, go the extra mile in their work, are exceptionally supportive of their colleagues, or have a BIG personality that makes your lab a brilliant place to work. In whatever way they’ve had a positive impact on your life and work, now is your opportunity to acknowledge them.
Nominate the scientists who are your Lab Heroes from now until 30th November 2019, and put your lab and the brilliant life scientists who work in it in the spotlight.
Do you have a lab hero in mind?
To nominate them in the Lab Heroes AwardsTM 2019, simply visit our nomination page, fill out your details and tell us why your lab hero deserves to win. You can see who has been nominated so far here.
Please be as detailed as possible in your nominations to give our judges plenty of information, and please do include a photo, as we want to shout out to all our Lab Heroes nominees on social media to acknowledge them for the fantastic work they do.
This is your chance to really shout about what makes this scientist really special, and why they deserve to be known outside the lab and around the world!
What makes a Lab Hero?
To give you an idea of the reasons you might nominate a Lab Hero, just some of the things our nominations included last year were:
- “She is a researcher par excellence, dedicated, focused, and goals-oriented.”
- “His enthusiasm for science is infectious and motivating, particularly when experimental progress is slow.”
- “He strives constantly to improve everything he can for students and staff alike, which takes a lot of perseverance to see through as he’s sometimes met with differences of opinion.”
- “She is a true team player, fun, pragmatic and always in a good mood. Our lab would not be the same without her.”
- “He has so many projects at the same time in his head and can think of details for each of them in minutes.”
- “He doesn't only provide a great contribution to science but he works every day to make our world a better place.”
- “She goes above and beyond every single day to make sure we have everything we need (and then some) to do all the crazy experiments that our hearts desire.”
- “She encourages all lab members to join social events outside the lab, often hosting or organizing events herself. Moreover, she ensures that we all celebrate the small victories.”
- “She is not only an amazing researcher, but also a tremendous teacher.”
- “Without him there would be chaos in the lab!”
Entry for the Lab Heroes AwardsTM 2019 opens TODAY (19th October) and closes at midnight on 30th November 2019.
The awards will be judged by the Hello Bio Scientific Advisory board, and winners will be announced after Monday 2nd December. You can view the full T&Cs for the 2019 awards here.
Help us spread the word, and find more Lab Heroes!
This year, we want to reach and recognise even more Lab Heroes from all around the world.
Please share this blog post on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook using the hashtag #LabHeroes19, and tell all your scientist networks and colleagues how they can get involved too.
This year’s prizes
This year, the winner of the Lab Heroes AwardsTM 2019 award will receive:
- $2000 Hello Bio vouchers for their lab;
- Plus a $1000 travel grant to attend a scientific conference anywhere in the world;
- And a Hello Bio goody bag! (We know this is the prize you’re all most excited for…)
Two runners up will each receive:
- $500 Hello Bio vouchers for their lab;
- Plus a $500 travel grant to attend a scientific conference anywhere in the world;
- And… you guessed it! A Hello Bio goody bag!
Before nominating your Lab Hero, please view the Terms & Conditions for the Lab Heroes AwardsTM 2019 here.
Meet all of our past Lab Heroes AwardsTM Winners and Runners-Up over on our blog:
- Meet Our Lab Heroes AwardsTM 2018 Winner: Dr Enitome Bafor
- Meet Our Lab Heroes AwardsTM 2018 Runner-Up: Elisabeth Paul
- Meet Our Lab Heroes AwardsTM 2018 Runner-Up: Ettore Ambrosini
- Meet our Lab Heroes AwardsTM 2017 winner Kimberley Evans
- Meet our Lab Heroes AwardsTM 2017 runner up Vanessa Charrier
- Meet our Lab Heroes AwardsTM 2017 runner up Pinggan Li
What's Hello Bio all about?
We are a manufacturer and supplier of low-cost reagents and biochemicals for life science research. We are especially passionate about supporting early career life scientists and PhD students - our affordable reagents and biochemicals are priced around 50% less than other suppliers, and we offer advice and guidance, travel grants, and resources to help with both personal and professional development. We know how tough it is - so we hope you find these helpful!
Advice & guidance for life scientists
Click below to view our of essential guides and articles includes to support life scientists, PhD students & early career life scientists:
Save up to 50% on reagents, biochemicals, dyes, stains and more...
We pledge to keep our prices as low as we can so that as many researchers as possible can afford them - as such, the prices of reagents and biochemicals from Hello Bio are around 50% less than other suppliers - you can see for yourself here!
Every month we give away $500 to PhD students and Postdocs so that they can attend a scientific conference - click below to find out more:
Wellbeing for scientists
Click below for our resources to help improve your wellbeing:
Try our Molarity Calculator: a quick and easy way to calculate the mass, volume or concentration required for making a solution.
Try our Dilution Calculator: an easy way to work out how to dilute stock solutions of known concentrations
Click below to see our Mini-reviews, Pathway Posters & Product Guides: a set of technical resources to answer your questions on a wide range of topics and to help you get started quickly.