Selective, competitive AMPA / kainate receptor antagonist
DNQX is a selective and competitive AMPA and kainate receptor antagonist. DNQX allso acts as partial AMPA agonist in the presence of γ2 transmembrane AMPA receptor regulatory proteins (TARP) subunit.
DNQX is also a neuroleptic agent that displays pro-oxidant activity.
Water soluble DNQX disodium is also available.
Pale yellow solid
DNQX antagonizes the actions of glutamate at AMPA receptors. It is commonly used to reduce excitatory post synaptic currents (EPSC) and is commonly used at 10 μM. DNQX disodium salt from Hello Bio completely blocks both spontaneous and evoked EPSCs at 10 μM, with concentrations of 1 μM also effective (see Fig 1 above).
#Protocol 1: Evoked and spontaneous excitatory post synaptic currents (EPSCs)
- Whole cell voltage clamp recordings were obtained from layer V neurons of the mouse prelimbic cortex brain slice.
- EPSCs were evoked via a stimulating electrode placed in layers II/III delivering a single square (150 μs) pulse every 10 sec at an intensity that gave a reliable EPSC.
- Neurons were held at -70 to -60 mV (the reversal potential of GABA currents). EPSCs were continuously stimulated and recorded in response to 5 min applications of varying concentrations of NBQX disodium salt until complete receptor inhibition.
- Spontaneous EPSCs were recorded before and after addition of NBQX disodium salt by holding the neuron at -70 mV and recording for 10 sec.
- Recordings for EPSCs were made in the absence of GABAA-R antagonists.
Storing and Using Your Product
Soluble in DMSO (100mM)
This product is for RESEARCH USE ONLY and is not intended for therapeutic or diagnostic use. Not for human or veterinary use.
References for DNQX
Redox properties and prooxidant cytotoxicity of a neuroleptic agent 6,7-dinitrodihydroquinoxaline-2,3-dione (DNQX).Šarlauskas J et al (2013) Acta Biochim Pol 60(2) : 227-31.PubMedID: 23757451
TARP auxiliary subunits switch AMPA receptor antagonists into partial agonists.Menuz K et al (2007) Science 318(5851) : 815-7.PubMedID: 17975069
Selective excitatory actions of DNQX and CNQX in rat thalamic neurons.Lee SH et al (2010) J Neurophysiol 103(4) : 1728-34.PubMedID: 20107128
Pharmacological characterization of glutamatergic agonists and antagonists at recombinant human homomeric and heteromeric kainate receptors in vitro.Alt et al (2004) Neuropharmacology 46(6) : 793-806PubMedID: 15033339
Reviews & Product Guides
Better and cheaper - we switched to Hello Bio's DNQX for all of our electrophysiology experiments over a year ago and have been thrilled with the results (and the savings) compared with other suppliers. Since this is a staple in our lab, and we go through a LOT of it, Hello Bio has saved us thousands of dollars in the last year without compromising our results at all. Definitely recommend!