Short descriptionNon-competitive GABAA receptor antagonist
Biological descriptionNon-competitive GABAA receptor antagonist. Also a glycine receptor inhibitor (IC50 = 2.7 µM). Acts as a convulsant and CNS stimulant. Active in vivo.
- Customer comments
Our products in action2 citations Submit Your Citation Now
The GABAA receptor antagonist Picrotoxin is commonly used to reduce the levels inhibition by blocking the actions of the neurotransmitter GABA. Picrotoxin from Hello Bio reduces both spontaneous inhibitory post synaptic currents (IPSC) and evoked IPSCs. It was effective at concentrations of 10μM, with complete receptor blockade at 100μM. For assay protocol, see #Protocol 1 in Application Notes below
#Protocol 1: Evoked and spontaneous inhibitory post synaptic currents (IPSCs)
- Whole cell voltage clamp recordings were obtained from layer V neurons of the mouse prelimbic cortex brain slice.
- A stimulating electrode was placed in layers II/III and IPSCs were evoked by a single square (150 μs) pulse every 10 sec at a stimulus intensity that gave a reliable IPSC.
- IPSCs were evoked at a range of neuron holding voltages to measure the reversal potential of the current to ensure it was GABAergic.
- Neurons were held at 0mV and IPSCs continuously stimulated and recorded in response to 5 min applications of varying concentrations of Gabazine until complete receptor inhibition.
- Spontaneous IPSCs were recorded before and after addition of Gabazine by holding the neuron at 0mV and recording for 10 sec.
- All recordings for IPSCs were made in the presence of AMPAR antagonists.
Storing and Using Your Product
Storage instructionsRoom temperature
Solubility overviewSoluble in DMSO (100mM) and in ethanol (50mM, gentle warming)
References for Picrotoxin
Picrotoxin-like channel blockers of GABAA receptors.Olsen RW (2006) Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103(16) : 6081-2.PubMedID: 16606858
Mechanisms for picrotoxin block of alpha2 homomeric glycine receptors.Wang DS et al (2006) J Biol Chem 281(7) : 3841-55.PubMedID: 16344549
Picrotoxin blockade of invertebrate glutamate-gated chloride channels: subunit dependence and evidence for binding within the pore.Etter A et al (1999) J Neurochem 72(1) : 318-26.PubMedID: 9886084
mGluR-LTD at Excitatory and Inhibitory Synapses in the Lateral Habenula Tunes Neuronal Output.Valentinova and Mameli(2016) Cell Rep 16(9) : 2298-307PubMedID: 27545888
PAR1 activation induces rapid changes in glutamate uptake and astrocyte morphology.Sweeny et al (2017) Sci Rep. 7 : 43606PubMedID: 28256580
Reviews & Product Guides
- Our lab has used Hello Bio Picrotoxin to block GABAA receptors.