Prototypic AMPA receptor agonist
Prototypic AMPA receptor agonist (EC50 = 11 μM). (S)-AMPA is the active enantiomer form.
The AMPA receptor agonist (R,S)-AMPA is typically used at concentrations of 1-100 µM. At 10 µM, (R,S)-AMPA from Hello Bio induces a large depolarising current. This depolarising current was occluded in the presence of the AMPA receptor antagonist NBQX (20µM). (See Fig 1 above).
#Protocol 1: (R,S)-AMPA protocol
- Whole cell voltage clamp recordings of CA1 pyramidal neurons from the rat hippocampal brain slice.
- Neurons were held at -60 mV and continuously perfused with aCSF in the presence of the GABA receptor antagonist gabazine (20µM).
- AMPA currents were evoked via applying (R,S)-AMPA directly to the recording chamber during continuous perfusion.
- To test the selectivity of (R,S)-AMPA to AMPA receptors, the experiment was repeated within the same neuron in the presence of the AMPA receptor antagonist NBQX (20 µM)
- Under these conditions (R,S)-AMPA failed to induce a depolarising current.
Storing and Using Your Product
Soluble in water (10mM, gentle warming)
This product is for RESEARCH USE ONLY and is not intended for therapeutic or diagnostic use. Not for human or veterinary use.
References for (R,S)-AMPA
The AMPA receptor binding site: focus on agonists and competitive antagonists.Stensbøl TB et al (2002) Curr Pharm Des 8(10) : 857-72.PubMedID: 11945136
Willardiines differentiate agonist binding sites for kainate- versus AMPA-preferring glutamate receptors in DRG and hippocampal neurons.Wong LA et al (1994) J Neurosci 14(6) : 3881-97.PubMedID: 7515954
Activation and desensitization of AMPA/kainate receptors by novel derivatives of willardiine.Patneau DK et al (1992) J Neurosci 12(2) : 595-606.PubMedID: 1371315