Clozapine N-oxide (CNO) dihydrochloride (water soluble)(HB6149)
NameClozapine N-oxide (CNO) dihydrochloride (water soluble)
Short descriptionDihydrochloride salt of CNO - the prototypical DREADD activator
Clozapine N-oxide dihydrochloride (CNO) is the dihydrochloride salt of CNO which is the prototypical chemical DREADDs activator. It is a metabolite of clozapine.
‘Excitatory’ Gq- coupled) DREADDs:
CNO activates the excitatory Gq- coupled DREADDs: hM3Dq, hM1Dq and hM5Dq.
The hM3Dq DREADD is typically used for enhancing neuronal firing and activating (Gq- signaling in neuronal and non-neuronal cells.
‘Inhibitory’ (Gi- coupled) DREADDs:
CNO also activates the inhibitory hM4Di and hM2Di Gi-coupled DREADDs.
The hM4Di DREADD is the most commonly used inhibitory DREADD and is used for neuronal silencing.
Gs and β-arrestin coupled DREADDs:
CNO also activates the Gs- coupled DREADD (GsD) and the β-arrestin preferring DREADD: rM3Darr (Rq(R165L).
In the literature, CNO has been administered intraperitoneally (i.p.), subcutaneously, directly infused intracranially, via drinking water, osmotic mini-pump and recently via eye drops. See our Technical review (table 3) for example administration methods and doses.
Recent findings (Gomez et al 2016) suggest that systemically administered CNO does not readily cross the blood-brain-barrier in vivo, and converts to clozapine which activates DREADDs. Therefore care must be taken in experimental design and proper controls should be incorporated, for example, the use of non-DREADD expressing animals may be appropriate (see Mahler and Aston-Jones (2018)).
Our stability studies have shown that CNO dihydrochloride is easier to solubilize and handle and have found that this product does not precipitate in solution unlike the freebase form of CNO (which, due to its inherent chemical properties requires careful handling and has been shown in the literature to precipitate in solution under certain conditions).
Alternative namesCNO dihydrochloride, CNO.2HCl
We have been using Clozapine N-oxide (CNO) dihydrochloride (CNO.2HCl) from Hello Bio. We are fully satisfied with this product: it is readily water soluble and stable. We have administered CNO-2HCl to animals via IP injection and intracranial microinjection; and we have observed CNO-induced cellular and behavioral effects fully consistent with its expected activation of DREADD receptors." Verified customer, UTHSC
Citations1 citation Submit Your Citation Now
Chemical name8-Chloro-11-(4-methyl-4-oxido-1-piperazinyl)-5H-dibenzo[b,e][1,4]diazepine dihydrochloride
Other Non-CNO DREADD activators available:
- Water soluble Compound 21 (DREADD agonist 21) hydrochloride has minimal off-target activity and is indicated not to metabolize to clozapine. The freebase Compound 21 (DREADD agonist 21) is also available.
- Perlapine hydrochloride (water soluble) is a potent and selective hM3Dq DREADD agonist. Perlapine freebase is also available.
- Salvinorin B (SALB) Salvinorin B (SALB) potently activates the inhibitory KORD DREADD to induce neuronal inhibition.
Storing and Using Your Product
Solubility overviewSoluble in water (100 mM). Always store solutions at -20°C.
- Hydroscopic solid, contact with air may cause material to become sticky. Product performance should not be affected but we recommend storing the material in a sealed jar.
- Always store solutions at -20°C.
ImportantThis product is for RESEARCH USE ONLY and is not intended for therapeutic or diagnostic use. Not for human or veterinary use
References for Clozapine N-oxide (CNO) dihydrochloride (water soluble)
Novel designer receptors to probe GPCR signaling and physiology.Wess et al (2013) Trends Pharmacol Sci. 34(7) : 385-92PubMedID: 23769625
Evolving the lock to fit the key to create a family of G protein-coupled receptors potently activated by an inert ligand.Arbruster et al (2007) Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104(12) : 5163-8PubMedID: 17360345
Differential regulation of rat 5-HT2A and 5-HT2C receptors after chronic treatment with clozapine, chlorpromazine and three putative atypical antipsychotic drugs.Kuoppamã?ki M et al (1995) Neuropsychopharmacology 13(2) : 139-50.PubMedID: 8597525
Chemogenetics revealed: DREADD occupancy and activation via converted clozapine.Gomez et al (2017) Science 357(6350) : 503-507PubMedID: 28774929
CNO Evil? Considerations for the Use of DREADDs in Behavioral Neuroscience.Mahler and Aston-Jones (2018) Neuropsychopharmacology doi: 10.1038 : /npp.2016.251PubMedID: 29303143
cAMP-producing chemogenetic activation of indirect pathway striatal projection neurons and the downstream effects on the globus pallidus and subthalamic nucleus in freely moving mice.Bouabid and Zhou (2018) J Neurochem doi: 10.1111/jnc.14331. : [Epub ahead of print]PubMedID: 29500819
Reviews & Product Guides
- We have been using Clozapine N-oxide (CNO) dihydrochloride (CNO.2HCl) from Hello Bio. We are fully satisfied with this product: it is readily water soluble and stable. We have administered CNO-2HCl to animals via IP injection and intracranial microinjection; and we have observed CNO-induced cellular and behavioral effects fully consistent with its expected activation of DREADD receptors."